- 1 kg shoulder or leg of muttoncut into chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 2teaspoons salt
- 2teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼teaspoon Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- A pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 onionpeeled and left whole
- 600gr Short round rice I used arborio as it soaks up juices well.
- Pinch saffronpounded
- 4bulbs garlic(or to taste), crushed
- 50gr samneh (clarified butter) or butter
- 1. Place the mutton, spices and the whole onion in a pan and cover with water
- 2. Simmer gently for 1¼ hours or more until the meat is tender.
- 3. Lightly grease a large casserole dish and add the rice to it.
- 4. Strain the mutton into a colander but keep the stock.
- 5. Strain the mutton into a colander but keep the stock.
- 6. Pour over the rice and add the saffron, garlic and samneh or butter.
- 7. Place the cooked meat on the top, cover and cook for 30 minutes at 200° C , until the rice is cooked and has absorbed the liquid.