- 4-5large Onionshalved and thinly sliced
- 300g brown lentilssorted and rinsed
- 250g white ricelong-grain
- 1liter Water
- 1tbsp salt
- 0.5tbsp black pepper
- 0.5tbsp Cumin
- • Heat olive oil in a frying pan over low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 to 15 minutes until golden.
- • Bring 1 liter of water to a boil in a large saucepan or small stockpot and add lentils. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, then add the rice and half the cooked onions. Season with salt, pepper and cumin to taste. Simmer, covered, over very low heat until the lentils and rice are tender, about 20 minutes more. You may need to add more water toward the end. Remove from heat and let rest covered for 5 minutes.
- • While the rice and lentils are cooking, cook the remaining onion in the skillet over low heat, stirring often, until dark brown and nearly crisp for 15 to 20 minutes.
- • Serve hot or at room temperature, topped with browned onions.
- • Add a dollop of yogurt, sour cream or tomato salad, if desired.