- 1large eggplant
- 2tsp. salt
- 2cups cauliflower florets
- Olive oil spray
- 0.5kg ground lamb
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 350gram long-grain rice, rinsed
- 1tsp. seven spices
- 0.5tsp. ground cinnamon
- 0.5tsp. ground nutmeg
- 0.5tsp. ground cardamom
- 1liter Water
- 50gram pine nuts (optional)
- 50gram sliced almonds
- 1/4cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC.
- Cut eggplant into 6 mm slices, sprinkle with 0.5 teaspoon salt, and let drain in a strainer for 20 minutes. Pat dry.
- Spread eggplant and cauliflower florets on the prepared baking sheet, lightly coat with olive oil spray, and bake for 20 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the lamb meat for 5 minutes, breaking up lumps with a wooden spoon.
- Add onion and 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer lamb and onions to a large bowl, and stir in long-grain rice, seven spices, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and salt.
- In a large pot, add a layer of eggplant, half of rice mixture (includes meat, onion and rice), half of cauliflower, another layer of eggplant, remaining rice mixture, and a final layer of cauliflower. Slowly pour in water, cover, and cook over low heat for 40 minutes. Let rice rest for 15 minutes after cooking.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, heat remaining 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Add pine nuts and almonds, and toast for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Carefully place a plate over the rice pot, and carefully flip over the pot. Give the pot a few taps and a little jiggle, and slowly lift up the pot.
- Distribute toasted almonds around the plate, sprinkle Italian parsley over top of rice, and serve warm.